The Virginia Commonwealth University Identity Manual ensures that the university and medical center identity is always represented in a consistent manner that continues to build local, national and international recognition, providing VCU with a visual signature for all forms of communication.
The basic VCU identity consists of three parts — the VCU logotype, seal and the VCU bar element graphics. The specific font, letter-spacing, proportions and spatial relationships must not be altered since all of these elements impact the presentation of the identity.
- VCU logotype, seal and bar element
- VCU Medical Center logotype and bar element
- VCU mobile logo
- VCU Ram logo
- Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU
The VCU logotype guidelines must be adhered to when using the trademarked graphic elements and logos in the VCU Identity Manual. Any deviation from these rules and standards must be submitted to the University Communications Review Committee for approval.
To download graphic elements, members of the university community may log in to the VCU Identity Manual’s downloads section using their eID and password. External constituents may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (804) 828-1463 for assistance.
- The VCU logo includes three parts that must always be paired together: the VCU logotype and the VCU bar element (Virginia Commonwealth University spelled out).
- VCU identity must be included on all university-related communications promoting schools, departments, organizations, associations and centers within the university. For example, the VCU identity must appear on the cover of all printed materials and on the home page of all websites and electronic communications, as well as any other media and promotional materials.
- To ensure legibility, the VCU bar element should not be scaled down to a size smaller than 0.075 inches in height and the VCU logotype should not be scaled any smaller than 0.25 inches in height. If the VCU bar element must be dropped due to illegibility (i.e., novelty items, manufacturing limitations), the proposed instance must be submitted as a PDF (showing the design/layout) for approval to the University Communication Review Committee. To ensure proper branding, the nomenclature must be proportionate to the piece and convey a hierarchical relationship to other typographic and art elements.
- The specific font, letter-spacing, proportions and spatial relationships should not be altered since all of these elements impact the presentation of the identity. Please do not attempt to recreate or simulate any of the artwork using standard fonts.
- The colors of all VCU identity should be reproduced in accordance to the VCU Identity Manual’s color specifications. The manual provides specific PMS colors, CMYK builds and Web numbers to follow when replicating the official VCU gold.
- The addition of gradations, 3D effects, drop shadows and outlines are not permitted treatments to the VCU identity elements.
- The VCU identity elements should not be used at random angles, such as 90 degrees, or vertically stacked.
- While the use of the Make it real. tagline is optional, we encourage members of the university community to use it whenever possible as a means of integrating your communications with the university’s overall brand positioning.
- The Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center consists of the VCU Health System and the five health sciences schools of VCU, as well as the Massey Cancer Center.
- The same general usage guidelines for the VCU logotype also apply to the VCU Medical Center logo.
- The basic VCU Medical Center logo provides a distinct identity for the VCU Medical Center and incorporates the VCU logotype along with the VCU bar element.
- The VCU Medical Center logo’s two basic versions include the stand-alone VCU Medical Center logo with the two graphics that make up the VCU identity and a second version that also includes the registered trademarked tagline of the VCU Medical Center, “Every Day, A New Discovery®.”
- The “Every Day, A New Discovery®” tagline must be used as a graphic and paired with the VCU Medical Center logo. It has been created for precise use as a graphic, combined with the VCU Medical Center logo, and should never be altered where the tagline is typed; appears in a different font, size or alignment other than centered underneath the VCU Medical Center logo; or is paired in different proportions as spatially related to the basic elements of the VCU Medical Center logo.
Please note: a new VCU mobile brand mark is currently being developed as well, and will be available for download soon.
- The same general usage guidelines for the VCU logotype also apply to the VCU Ram logo.
- The Ram is the primary athletic mark to be used.
- Not to be used on non-athletic materials.
The Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU logo is only available upon request for approved usage. Please email Shira Cantor at email@example.com for more information.
- The standard colors for the logo include Pantone 130C, 219C, 534C, 390C and 7546C. However, it is OK to change the color scheme.
- The following typefaces are consistent with the graphic standards for the VCU Medical Center: Times New Roman, Univers 45 Light, Univers 45 Light Oblique and Arial Regular.
- Use the width of the “E” in Children’s to determine the minimum safe space that is needed around the logo.
- Whenever possible, the logo should be used with the tagline.
- Use the logo at a minimum width of 2.25" with the tagline and at 1.5" without the tagline. The minimum size is intended to help promote legibility. Some production techniques may not be able to accurately reproduce this size.
- The Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU logo should not be distorted. Do not distort proportions, use low-resolutions files for printing or change the color scheme.